Chicken Avocado Melt Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour cream, salsa and sliced green onions, optional
- 1. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; set aside. In a shallow bowl, combine cornstarch, cumin, garlic powder, salt and cayenne. In another shallow bowl, beat egg and water. Dip chicken into egg, then roll in the cornstarch mixture and cornmeal.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook chicken over medium heat in oil until golden brown on both sides. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; arrange avocado evenly on top.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve with sour cream, salsa and green onions if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 565 calories, 41g fat (14g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 930mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein
Reviews for Chicken Avocado Melt
"I just made this. I double checked my measurements on the seasonings just to be sure I didn't make a mistake. This just tasted awful. Way to salty and the combination of the cumin and garlic powder did not go well at all. I just wasted some expensive chicken and now I have to figure out something else to make for supper. I think if you made this with just the cornstarch and cornmeal as a coating it would probably be pretty good. And usually I like spicy, but not this."
"We love this recipe but didn't care for the cooked avocado so we wait to top the chicken with the avocado when we serve it. One of our family's favorites!"
"DROWN the chicken in cheese! And broil the chicken with the cheese over the top to really get it melted and delicious.My fiancee and I just made this last night. We cut the chicken into pork chop size pieces before we breaded it (to get extra breading flavor) and it was AWESOME!It was even good the next day, nuked.Note: We used sour cream, salsa and green onions."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.