Chicken Asparagus Soup Recipe
- 2 pounds thin fresh asparagus
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. Cut tips from asparagus spears; set aside. Place stalks in a large skillet; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Strain, reserving 4 cups cooking liquid. Discard stalks.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, saute the potatoes, onion, celery, carrot, parsley and garlic in oil until vegetables are tender. Stir in the broth, salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, bay leaf and reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a blender, cover and puree soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pan. Add the chicken, cream, remaining pepper and reserved asparagus tips. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 10 servings (about 2 quarts).
1-1/3 cup: 226 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 660mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein .
Reviews for Chicken Asparagus Soup
"Made this and loved it so much. I kept the stalks and puréed them to add more flavor and nutrition. I don't think the asparagus flavor would have been as strong without them. Even my daughter who only likes spinach had 2 BOWLS!!!!"
"I pureed the stalks as well to add more asparagus flavor to the soup."
"Would give this 10 stars!!!!! The only change, used a can of skim milk & 8oz lite cream cheese instead of the 1/2 & 1/2. Nothing NOT to like about this soup!!!"
"A fresh spin on asparagus soup! I omitted the celery and carrots for a greener fresher appeal. It was loved by all!"
"Loved it! I was a little short on the asparagus so I pureed the stalks also and the soup turned out delicious... definitely will make this again."
"Made this, or a close variation on the theme, many times. French Bread with fresh garlic, balsamic vineger sprinkled over and a generous pile of Parmie cheese and under the broiler for a few minutes. Toss in a green salad, and you have major 'Good Eats.'"
"Made this, or a close variation on the theme, many times. French Bread with fresh garlic, balsamic vineger sprinkled over and a generous pile of Parmie cheese under the broiler. Toss in a green salad, and you have major 'Good Eats.'"
"This recipe pleased even my pickiest eaters. I didn't have cream so I added a scoop fo sour cream instead. Also didn't have the herbs on hand, but it was great with just salt and pepper."
"I changed it some but followed basic recipe. I had ham so used that instead of chicken and it was delicious. I didn't have enough half and half and used mostly Evaporated milk. Didn't have parsley and substituted cilantro and chives. At end I made the biggest change to it because we like some spice. Added about 1/2 tsp. Thai spicy chili sauce which made it a 5 star recipe to our tastes. Also, I had left over raw cauliflower I needed to use up and added that to the veggies. I really think you could use any veggies in this soup but the asparagus, carrots, onion, and potatoes seem integral. It cracked me up the recipe didn't specify when to add the asparagus tips or milk, but I added the asparagus when I turned the burner off and added the milk once it looked cooked."
"Great asparagus and chicken combination and a wonderful way to use those asparagus stalks for stock. I used milk instead of half-and-half and added a little flour for thickening because we watch our cholesterol, and it was still very good."