I've had this recipe for many years, and I'm sure your readers will enjoy it. It's not only delicious, but you'll find it's low in calories, too!
- 4 whole chicken breasts, split, skinned, boned and pounded thin
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups white onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Season pounded chicken breasts lightly with salt and freshly ground pepper. Place 2-3 asparagus spears on each chicken breast half. Roll up tightly; secure with toothpicks, if necessary. Set aside.
- Combine flour, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon thyme and paprika. Roll chicken in this mixture. Place onions and tomatoes in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, reserving 8 slices of each for top. Place chicken over vegetables; top with reserved onion and tomato slices. Combine broth with remaining salt and thyme; pour around chicken. Cover pan loosely with foil. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes, basting every 10 minutes. Uncover and bake until tender, about 10-15 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chicken/Asparagus Roll-Ups in Country Extra May 1990, p49
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken/Asparagus Roll-Ups
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review