Chicken/Asparagus Pasta Supper Recipe
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 carrots, cut into julienne strips
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 3 green onions, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound thin spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over high. Add asparagus, mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, zucchini, onions and salt. Cook and stir 5 minutes. Remove vegetables from the skillet, set aside.
- 2. Add remaining oil to the skillet. Cook chicken, stirring constantly, 5-6 minutes or until it is no longer pink. Return vegetables to the skillet; add peas and cook 3-5 minutes. set aside.
- 3. For sauce, melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour to form a smooth paste. Add bouillon cube. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until sauce is thickened. Season with pepper.
- 4. Pour over chicken/vegetable mixture; toss to coat. Serve over spaghetti. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 401 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 384 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.