Chicken Artichoke Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package (8 ounces) frozen artichoke hearts or 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh savory or 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Hot cooked noodles or rice
- 1. In a large skillet, saute chicken in 1 tablespoon butter until no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper. Place chicken and artichokes in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt remaining butter; stir in flour and nutmeg until smooth. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheese until melted; spoon over chicken.
- 3. Combine the bread crumbs, savory and thyme; sprinkle over chicken. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with noodles or rice. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Chicken Artichoke Casserole
"Pretty good but we didn't care for the taste of savory, perhaps will use tarragon next time. I added a half carton of sliced mushrooms which was good but it needs some onion as well. Having said that it was easy to put together and had plenty of sauce, will try it again."
"For those that don't care for artichoke try substituting spinach."
"made just like the recipe and it is very very good!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.