My grandmother always made this dish when we came over for Sunday dinner. I still enjoy it today-it's quick and simple, and I can garden while it cooks!
- 1/2 pound medium fresh mushrooms, sliced, divided
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (7 ounces each), skinned and boned
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- Hot cooked rice or noodles
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Place half the mushrooms in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- Place egg substitute and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip chicken in milk, then roll in crumbs.
- In large skillet, brown both sides of chicken in butter; place chicken on top of mushrooms. Arrange remaining mushrooms on chicken; top with cheese. Add chicken broth to pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Serve chicken with hot cooked rice or noodles. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Angelo in Country October/November 1990, p49
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken Angelo
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 24, 2014
"Very easy chicken dish. The chicken itself is a little bland, could use some fresh herbs for flavoring."