Chicken and Vegetable Rice Soup Recipe
Because the produce in this soup is pureed, you can easily get children to eat their vegetables...without knowing it! Kids of all ages will surely savor this classic soup.
- 2 celery ribs with leaves
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 pound white potatoes, peeled
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled
- 3 quarts water
- 2 pounds broiler/fryer chicken pieces, skin removed
- 2 large onions, halved
- 3 reduced-sodium chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 cups cooked rice (prepared without added salt)
- Pepper to taste
- Cut vegetables into 2-in. pieces; place in a 5-qt. Dutch oven. Add the water, chicken, onions and bouillon. Bring to a boil; skim fat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Strain broth and skim fat. Remove chicken; cool. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; set meat aside. Discard bones.
- Puree the vegetables and broth in a blender; strain. Return chicken and broth to Dutch oven. Stir in rice. Cook over medium heat until bubbly, stirring occasionally. Season with pepper. Yield: 20 servings (5 quarts).
Originally published as Harvest Chicken Rice Soup in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Annual 1995, p114
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken and Vegetable Rice Soup(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chicken and Rice Soup >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Soup >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Low Sodium Soup Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >