- 2 celery ribs with leaves
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 pound white potatoes, peeled
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled
- 3 quarts water
- 2 pounds broiler/fryer chicken pieces, skin removed
- 2 large onions, halved
- 3 reduced-sodium chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 cups cooked rice (prepared without added salt)
- Pepper to taste
- Cut vegetables into 2-in. pieces; place in a 5-qt. Dutch oven. Add the water, chicken, onions and bouillon. Bring to a boil; skim fat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Strain broth and skim fat. Remove chicken; cool. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; set meat aside. Discard bones.
- Puree the vegetables and broth in a blender; strain. Return chicken and broth to Dutch oven. Stir in rice. Cook over medium heat until bubbly, stirring occasionally. Season with pepper. Yield: 20 servings (5 quarts).
Originally published as Harvest Chicken Rice Soup in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Annual 1995, p114
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic California Chardonnay with the perfect touch of oak. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $99.99. Order Now
Reviews for Chicken and Vegetable Rice Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review