Chicken and Tomato Scampi Recipe
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a skillet over medium heat, saute garlic and onions in butter and oil until onions are tender. Add chicken, salt if desired and pepper. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Add tomatoes, lemon juice and sugar; heat through.
- 2. Combine cornstarch and water; stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Add parsley. Serve over rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with margarine and without added salt and served without rice) equals 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 vegetable, 1 fat; also, 255 calories, 356 mg sodium, 73 mg cholesterol, 8 gm carbohydrate, 28 gm protein, 12 gm fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.