Chicken and Sweet Potato Chili Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 whole garlic bulb, cloves separated, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) plus 1-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the chicken, 2 cans broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring remaining broth to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat; fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- 3. Remove chicken; cool slightly. Strain broth, reserving vegetables; skim fat from broth. Return vegetables and broth to the Dutch oven; add the sweet potatoes, beans, tomatoes and cooked quinoa. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- 4. Meanwhile, remove chicken from bones; cut into bite-size pieces. Discard bones. Stir chicken into chili; heat through. Yield: 10 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
1-1/3 cups equals 414 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 1,097 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.