Chicken and Spinach Supper Recipe
- 4 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided, optional
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Mix spinach, nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon salt if desired. Pat in the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with chicken.
- 2. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add flour, pepper, paprika and remaining salt if desired; stir to form a smooth paste. Gradually add broth, lemon juice and rosemary, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook an additional minute until thickened. Pour over chicken. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over casserole.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with margarine and low-sodium broth and without added salt) equals 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch; also, 298 calories, 307 mg sodium, 73 mg cholesterol, 14 gm carbohydrate, 31 gm protein, 12 gm fat.
Reviews for Chicken and Spinach Supper
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.