Chicken and Spinach Supper Recipe
- 4 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided, optional
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Mix spinach, nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon salt if desired. Pat in the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with chicken.
- 2. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add flour, pepper, paprika and remaining salt if desired; stir to form a smooth paste. Gradually add broth, lemon juice and rosemary, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook an additional minute until thickened. Pour over chicken. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over casserole.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 298 calories, 12g fat (0g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 307mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 31g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1/2 starch, 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable
Reviews for Chicken and Spinach Supper
"I cut this recipe to to 4 servings and it came out great. I had to omit the nutmeg because I didn't have it and I did not cook the chicken before hand but it came out so fantastic that everyone raved! This is a must try if you are stuck on dinner options."
"Oops! Forgot to add that I did NOT cook the chicken prior to placing it in the casserole pan. 45 min. in the oven is plenty of time for it to cook thoroughly, and it stays moister that way. :)"
"I wasn't so sure about the seasonings in this recipe (nutmeg with spinach?), but it turned out great! I used freshly cooked spinach instead of frozen and omitted the melted butter from the crumb topping. Would also be very tasty w/out the spinach, in case your family isn't big on that particular veggie."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.