Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 pound fully cooked Johnsonville® Smoked Sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash cayenne
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1. In a skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter until crisp-tender. Add the sausage, broth, tomatoes, green pepper, bay leaf, thyme and cayenne. Bring to a boil; add rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add chicken and shrimp; cook 5-10 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink and rice is tender. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 2 servings.
One 1-1/4 cup serving (prepared with turkey sausage) equals 386 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 158 mg cholesterol, 986 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 33 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.