I enjoy cooking for family and friends, but I don't want to break the bank. That's why I frequently rely on delicious one-pot meals like this.—Ernest Foster, Climax, New York
Recommended: 34 Dump Dinners for Your Slow Cooker
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 quarts water
- 2 pounds hot Italian sausage links
- 6 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (16 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chicken and water in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Skim fat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30-45 minutes or until chicken is tender. Meanwhile, puncture skins of sausages; place in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain. In a large skillet, brown sausages on all sides. Cool and cut into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- In small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. In the drippings, saute garlic until tender.
- Remove chicken from Dutch oven; cool. Drain broth; skim fat. Reserve 5 cups broth. Remove chicken from bones; cut into bite-size pieces.
- Pour reserved chicken broth into the Dutch oven. Add the chicken, sausage, bacon, parsley and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, macaroni, salt and pepper; simmer 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Chicken and Sausage Stew in Taste of Home August/September 1993, p47
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken and Sausage Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review