- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3/4 pound smoked Polish sausage or fully cooked bratwurst links, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) Parmesan Alfredo sauce
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the chicken, sausage, onion and red and green peppers in oil over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the Alfredo sauce, soup, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Stir in cheese. Drain pasta; add to chicken mixture and toss to coat.
- Serve desired amount immediately. Cool remaining mixture; transfer to freezer containers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen pasta: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a large skillet; cook and stir over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Chicken and Sausage Penne
"There was WAY too much sauce using two jars of Alfredo, and we weren't crazy about the taste it gave the dish.......it overwhelmed all the other ingredients. I was going to give this recipe just two stars, but today I tasted the leftovers, and after everything mingled overnight, it actually had a better flavor.....the sausage came through adding a nice smokiness to the dish. I think it's basically a pretty good recipe with the problem being the jarred "Alfredo" sauce. I've never cared much for the commercial stuff, and if I we were to make this again I'd make my own sauce - there are recipes out there for Alfredo sauces that are lighter than the heavy fat kind and still have a great taste."
"This was very good and easy to make. I think I will leave out the sausage next time. The sausage gave it a little bit of an unusual flavor."
"Yummy! I've made this twice - I only used 1 jar of alfredo sauce and I made the recipe the night before and then baked it at 350 degrees for 40 minutes (covered)."
"Very Good. I wll make again. Next time I will have my Meat and vegetables all chopped and ready to go!! It will go a lot faster. I only had CoJack cheese,but it worked well!"