- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2-1/3 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- Dredge chicken in flour. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil on all sides over medium heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the water, rice, milk, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with chicken.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken and Rice Dinner
"My husband and I enjoyed this. I did salt and pepper the chicken pretty generously before browning, and mixed the rice and seasonings in the drippings (after pouring off some of the fat). This is old-fashioned comfort food."
"My kids love this dish. It is so easy to put together. Just pop it in oven and dinner is ready soon."
"Printed this recipe out. I like that it doesn't use canned soup!!!!"
"My six year old son had a friend over for supper when I made this last and they each had 4 pieces of chicken!! An instant family favorite. I look forward to adding wild rice next time."
"This was perfect. I like that it doesn't use precooked ingredients or canned soup."
"I make a similar casserole using cream of mushroom soup with about 1 1/2 cups of milk, no water. I also add uncooked broccoli and top with breadcrumbs. It serves as a good hearty meal and everyone loves it."
"I also add a cream of soup to this recipe, but use cream of celery. I also add dry onion soup mix to add some more flavor. But don't use salt then!"
"I have a recipe similar but use Cream of Mushroom soup instead of the water.bsm56"
"This is similar to a recipe my Mom made when I was a child...my family still loves it! But, instead of water, I use chicken broth. Yum!"