“I developed this recipe after watching my neighbor’s wife make crispy egg rolls many times while I was stationed in Hawaii,” writes Bruce Beaver of Florissant, Missouri.
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) bamboo shoots, drained and chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/4 cups diced cooked chicken breasts
- 2 cups diced cooked pork
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a large nonstick wok, stir-fry the cabbage, celery, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and onions in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the chicken, pork, broth, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until heated through.
- Position an egg roll wrapper with one point toward you. Place about 1/4 cup meat mixture in the center. Fold bottom corner over filling; fold sides toward center over filling. Roll toward the remaining point. Moisten top corner with beaten egg; press to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry egg rolls, a few at a time, for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- In a saucepan, combine the first five sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil. Combine the cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into boiling mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve warm with egg rolls. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Chicken and Pork Egg Rolls in Taste of Home August/September 2005, p58
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Chicken and Pork Egg Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review