- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) bamboo shoots, drained and chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/4 cups diced cooked chicken breasts
- 2 cups diced cooked pork
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a large nonstick wok, stir-fry the cabbage, celery, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and onions in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the chicken, pork, broth, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until heated through.
- Position an egg roll wrapper with one point toward you. Place about 1/4 cup meat mixture in the center. Fold bottom corner over filling; fold sides toward center over filling. Roll toward the remaining point. Moisten top corner with beaten egg; press to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry egg rolls, a few at a time, for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- In a saucepan, combine the first five sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil. Combine the cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into boiling mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve warm with egg rolls. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Chicken and Pork Egg Rolls
"I have not made this yet but they sound wonderful was curious how well they wld freeze to thaw and cook for later?"
"The eggrolls and Duk Sauce were divine! I surprised my soon-to-be-inlaws and friends with this recipe!! Will continue to make it for years to come!"
"These egg rolls were better than any I've had in a restaurant in a long time. Admittedly, I made several changes. I omitted the bamboo shoots and water chestnuts and in their place added bean sprouts and grated carrot. I also omitted the pork and instead doubled the chicken. The only thing I'll do differently next time is add just a touch more soy sauce to the filling. Looking forward to making these many more times!"
"Instead of frying my homemade egg rolls, I heat my oven to 450 and brush both sides with a little of olive oil Bake for 10min then flip and bake another 10min. Then they aren't soaking up as much oil."
"The Chicken and Pork Egg Rolls are delicious, however, I found the cabbage a bit overpowering so I subsituted with around 4 cups of bean sprouts. The sauce is amazing!"