Chicken and Oyster Pie Recipe
My grandmother and mother were known for their hearty, delicious Dutch meals—and this dish is a meal in itself. I've carried on cooking these traditional Dutch recipes and intend to pass them on to my daughter. They keep fresh my childhood memories of carefree times filled with the warmth and love of home!
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 4 cups cubed cooked peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 pint shucked oysters, drained and chopped or 2 cans (8 ounces each) whole oysters, drained and chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- Pastry for a double-crust pie
- 1. In a large saucepan, stir flour and 1/2 cup chicken broth until smooth. Add remaining broth; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Remove from the heat. Add the potatoes, chicken, oysters, peas, celery, eggs and parsley; mix gently. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Dot with butter. Roll pastry into a 14-in. x 10-in. rectangle; place over chicken mixture. Seal pastry edges to sides of baking dish. Cut steam vents in top of pastry. Bake at 425° for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 416 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 583 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Reviews for Chicken and Oyster Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC