Chicken and Oyster Pie Recipe
My grandmother and mother were known for their hearty, delicious Dutch mealsand this dish is a meal in itself. I've carried on cooking these traditional Dutch recipes and intend to pass them on to my daughter. They keep fresh my childhood memories of carefree times filled with the warmth and love of home!
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 4 cups cubed cooked peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 pint shucked oysters, drained and chopped or 2 cans (8 ounces each) whole oysters, drained and chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- Pastry for a double-crust pie
- In a large saucepan, stir flour and 1/2 cup chicken broth until smooth. Add remaining broth; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Remove from the heat. Add the potatoes, chicken, oysters, peas, celery, eggs and parsley; mix gently. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Dot with butter. Roll pastry into a 14-in. x 10-in. rectangle; place over chicken mixture. Seal pastry edges to sides of baking dish. Cut steam vents in top of pastry. Bake at 425° for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Chicken and Oyster Pie in Reminisce Extra December 1993, p49
Reviews for Chicken and Oyster Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review