Chicken and Orzo Skillet Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 teaspoons salt-free garlic seasoning blend
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. Sprinkle chicken with garlic seasoning blend. In a large skillet, saute chicken and onion in oil for 5-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the tomatoes, spinach, broth, orzo, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes if desired. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until orzo is tender and liquid is absorbed. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups (calculated without cheese) equals 339 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 384 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 32 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.