Chicken and Olive Mole Casserole Recipe
- 2 large onions, finely chopped, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 ounce semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 6 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 1 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute 1 cup onion in oil until tender. Reduce heat to low. Add the garlic, salt, oregano, cumin and cinnamon; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in chili powder and flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Cook until mixture is reduced to 3 cups, about 35 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine chicken and 1/2 cup sauce. Spread 1/2 cup sauce into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the tortillas, chicken mixture, remaining onion and olives; top with 1 cup sauce and 2 cups cheese. Repeat layers.
- 3. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 640 calories, 36 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 144 mg cholesterol, 1,483 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 50 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.