- 2 large onions, finely chopped, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 ounce semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 6 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 1 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute 1 cup onion in oil until tender. Reduce heat to low. Add the garlic, salt, oregano, cumin and cinnamon; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in chili powder and flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Cook until mixture is reduced to 3 cups, about 35 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken and 1/2 cup sauce. Spread 1/2 cup sauce into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the tortillas, chicken mixture, remaining onion and olives; top with 1 cup sauce and 2 cups cheese. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forChicken and Olive Mole Casserole
"This is very close to authentic Mexican mole. We do not use so much garlic, onions or olives though. One large onion is sufficient for us.This is a very easy recipe that is similar to ours and really beats the store bought mole.Many people think that they need 20 or more ingredients to make a good chocolate mole but it is not true. Many families have traditionally added certain things to mole that are left over in the kitchen. As long as they are neutral flavors like seeds, nuts, toast, etc. they get tossed in the mix after being pulverized.I always add a little agave syrup giving it a tiny bit of sweetness."
"This sounds very good, but an easier recipe would be to just buy the jarred Mole sauce which is just as good. All you have to do is mix it with some chicen broth. It would cut out all those extra ingredients"
"Looks really yummy!!You can also have a look to this: apna-tadka.blogspot.com"