Chicken and Olive Mole Casserole Recipe
My Southwestern chicken casserole makes the perfect party dish when you're looking for something a little out of the ordinary. The mole sauce lends an authentic flavor, and folks are always pleasantly surprised to taste a little sweetness from the chocolate. —Barbara White, Livingston, Texas
- 2 large onions, finely chopped, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 ounce semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 6 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 1 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute 1 cup onion in oil until tender. Reduce heat to low. Add the garlic, salt, oregano, cumin and cinnamon; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in chili powder and flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Cook until mixture is reduced to 3 cups, about 35 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken and 1/2 cup sauce mixture. Spread 1/2 cup sauce mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the tortillas, chicken mixture, remaining onion and olives; top with 1 cup sauce and 2 cups cheese. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chicken and Olive Mole Casserole in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p82
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chicken and Olive Mole Casserole(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 30, 2014
Looks really yummy!!
You can also have a look to this: apna-tadka.blogspot.com
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Chicken >
- Baking Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Casserole >
- Chicken Casserole Recipes >
- Chicken Casseroles >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Mole >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mexican Casserole Recipes >