- into cubes; set aside.
- In a soup kettle, combine oil or drippings and flour until smooth.
- Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir about 5 minutes more or until
- mixture is reddish-brown (the color of a penny). Turn the heat to
- high. Stir in 2 cups reserved broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir
- for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the onions, celery, green pepper and garlic; cook and stir for 5
- minutes. Add the tomatoes, okra, bay leaves, basil, salt, pepper and
- pepper sauce. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add chicken; heat
- Discard bay leaves. Garnish with green onions and parsley. Serve with
- rice. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 222 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 431 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.