Chicken and Okra Gumbo Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2-1/2 to 3 pounds), cut up
- 2 quarts water
- 1/4 cup canola oil or bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups fresh or frozen sliced okra
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- Minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Place chicken and water in a large kettle. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- 2. Remove chicken; reserve broth. Set chicken aside until cool enough to handle. Remove chicken from bones; discard bones and cut into meat into cubes; set aside.
- 3. In a soup kettle, combine oil or drippings and flour until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir about 5 minutes more or until mixture is reddish-brown (the color of a penny). Turn the heat to high. Stir in 2 cups reserved broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Add the onions, celery, green pepper and garlic; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, okra, bay leaves, basil, salt, pepper and pepper sauce. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add chicken; heat through.
- 5. Discard bay leaves. Garnish with green onions and parsley. Serve with rice. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 222 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 431 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.