Chicken and Noodle Soup Recipe
- 1 stewing chicken (about 4 pounds), cut up
- 3 quarts water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 5 celery ribs, coarsely chopped, divided
- 4 medium carrots, coarsely chopped, divided
- 2 medium onions, quartered, divided
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped green pepper, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 ounces uncooked medium egg noodles
- In a large stockpot, combine the chicken, water, broth, half of the celery, carrots, onions and green pepper, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender. Chop the remaining onion; set aside.
- Remove chicken from broth. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces. Discard bones and skin; set aside.
- Strain broth and skim fat; return broth to stockpot. Add the salt, chopped onion and remaining celery, carrots, green pepper and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add noodles and chicken. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until noodles are tender. Yield: 16 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken and Noodle Soup
Sort By :
This is my second time making this everyone loves it at my house!!!!???
great chicken noodle soup, totally enjoyed this.
great with crackers
The only thing I omitted was the green pepper...I also substituted some chicken broth for the water...All in all a good receipe,,
I'm not one for cooked celery or carrots but I loved this recipe. Husband agreed it's a keeper. It is a little time consuming but the flavor is well worth it.