- and seasonings. Add enough water to cover chicken; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer chicken for 45-50 minutes or until no
- longer pink.
- Remove 1 cup broth to use for dumplings; cool. Stir in the flour,
- baking powder and eggs to form a stiff batter; drop by
- tablespoonfuls onto simmering broth. Cover and simmer for 15-20
- minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean
- (do not lift the cover while simmering). Remove chicken and
- dumplings to a serving dish and keep warm.
- For gravy, remove 4 cups broth and vegetables to a large saucepan;
- bring to a boil. Combine flour and water until smooth. Gradually
- stir into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir over
- medium heat for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Serve with
- chicken and dumplings. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Editor's Note: Any remaining chicken broth can be frozen for future use.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 402 calories, 14 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 108 mg cholesterol, 776 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.