Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (2-1/2 to 3 pounds each), cut up
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 to 12 cups water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1. Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken pieces, a few at a time and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown chicken in batches in oil; drain.
- 2. Place chicken in an 8-qt. stockpot. Add the celery, carrots, parsley and seasonings. Add enough water to cover chicken; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer chicken for 45-50 minutes or until no longer pink.
- 3. Remove 1 cup broth to use for dumplings; cool. Stir in the flour, baking powder and eggs to form a stiff batter; drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering broth. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Remove chicken and dumplings to a serving dish and keep warm.
- 4. For gravy, remove 4 cups broth and vegetables to a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Combine flour and water until smooth. Gradually stir into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Serve with chicken and dumplings. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 402 calories, 14 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 108 mg cholesterol, 776 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.