- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, combine the first eight ingredients. Slowly
- bring to a boil over low heat. Cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or
- until meat is tender, skimming the surface as foam rises.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, parsley, baking powder, salt and
- nutmeg; stir in milk, egg and oil just until moistened.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto simmering broth. Cover and simmer
- for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes
- out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Remove the
- dumplings and chicken with a slotted spoon to a serving dish; keep
- Strain broth, discarding vegetables and bay leaf; reserve 2 cups for
- gravy. (Remaining broth can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3
- days or frozen for 4 to 6 months.)
- Place reserved broth in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Combine
- the flour, water, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually stir into
- broth. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Serve with chicken and dumplings.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals 491 calories, 1,139 sodium, 162 mg cholesterol, 28 gm carbohydrate, 32 gm protein, 27 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 meat, 3 fat, 2 starch.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.