Chicken and Dumpling Soup Recipe
Our five kids are grown and live away from the farm, but they visit often with their families. So I stay in practice in the kitchen! I frequently serve this soup for Sunday dinner.
- 6 pieces bone-in chicken
- 1-1/2 quarts water
- 2 celery ribs, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 tube (7-1/2 ounces) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken; allow to cool. Debone and cut into chunks; set aside. Strain broth and set aside. In a large saucepan, combine soups. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. Add mixed vegetables and chicken; cook over medium heat for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. On a floured surface, pat biscuits to 1/4-in. thickness; cut into 1/4-in. strips. Bring soup to boil; drop in strips. Cover and cook for 15-18 minutes. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 285 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 956 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC