- 6 pieces bone-in chicken
- 1-1/2 quarts water
- 2 celery ribs, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 tube (7-1/2 ounces) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken; allow to cool. Debone and cut into chunks; set aside. Strain broth and set aside. In a large saucepan, combine soups. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. Add mixed vegetables and chicken; cook over medium heat for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. On a floured surface, pat biscuits to 1/4-in. thickness; cut into 1/4-in. strips. Bring soup to boil; drop in strips. Cover and cook for 15-18 minutes. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Chicken and Dumpling Soup
Sort By :
Think next time I might try using Cream of Broccoli Soup instead of Cream of Potato (too starchy w/dumplings or noodles). Also, was glad I cut up biscuits into smaller pieces because the dumplings are very filling - especially small children. Used frozen broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mix - also used whole 3-4 lb chicken instead of cut chicken (wasn't sure what cuts worked best so just used whole bird).
Its a nice hearty soup that was nice to serve my family of 8 - all suffering (literally - its a nightmare!) w/flu.
Thanks for sharing your recipe - we enjoyed it very much.