- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen green peas
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour, sugar, salt, basil and pepper until blended. Gradually add broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened; reduce heat. Add peas and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine baking mix and basil. Stir in milk with a fork until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls into 12 mounds over chicken mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Cover and bake 10 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Chicken and Dumpling Casserole
Sort By :
"This was good, my guests loved it, but next time I would adjust the amount of pepper. I added carrots and small chunks of one large potato with the broth. I used two T. of butter to saute the veggies."
"This was very good. I used sherry in place of sugar also would cut back on the broth by a half of cup sauce was a bit soupy also added peas and carrots mix turned out great. Will make this again. I also used chicken thighs just because white meat tends to be dry. Good go to dinner."
"This is Skookumchuck ! I added 2 diced carrots for color."
"Love this recipe!"
"This was so tasty! I can see this will be a family favorite!"