Chicken and Dumpling Casserole Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen green peas
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the flour, sugar, salt, basil and pepper until blended. Gradually add broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened; reduce heat. Add peas and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine baking mix and basil. Stir in milk with a fork until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls into 12 mounds over chicken mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Cover and bake 10 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Chicken and Dumpling Casserole(25)
Sort By :
This was very good. I used sherry in place of sugar also would cut back on the broth by a half of cup sauce was a bit soupy also added peas and carrots mix turned out great. Will make this again. I also used chicken thighs just because white meat tends to be dry. Good go to dinner.
This is Skookumchuck ! I added 2 diced carrots for color.
My kids ask for this a lot. I'm almost to the point where I may have to halve this recipe and add it to the total, making one 9 x 13 pan and one 8x8 pan! It's very, very flavorful and the dumplings soak up the gravy just perfectly!
Love this recipe!
This was so tasty! I can see this will be a family favorite!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Chicken >
- Casseroles >
- Chicken and Dumplings >
- Chicken Casserole >
- Chicken Casserole Recipes >
- Chicken Casseroles >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Dumplings Side Dish Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >