I usually make this in the summer when all the vegetables are fresh from our garden, My family loves the "zip" in this dish...I like the fact that they're getting a wholesome meal.
Recommended: Baking with Squash
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each), thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 2 cups seeded chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Hot cooked noodles or rice, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil until chicken is no longer pink; remove and set aside. In the drippings, saute onion until tender.
- Toss mushrooms with lemon juice. Add mushroom mixture to the skillet; cook and stir for 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, mustard, basil, oregano, cayenne pepper, remaining salt and pepper and chicken. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the corn, tomatoes and green pepper; simmer for 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with noodles or rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken and Corn Medley in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p51
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Chicken and Corn Medley
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 14, 2009
"Sounds yummy. Will be trying soo."