You get two for the price of one in this combo enchilada/lasagna casserole. You get all the flavors of the Mexican staple, and all the ease of layering lasagna. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, drained
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the chicken, cumin and salt in 1 tablespoon oil until chicken is no longer pink.
- Combine the refried beans and tomatoes; spread 1 cup into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Top with 24 tortilla strips; layer with half of the corn, bean mixture, chicken and cheese. Repeat layers.
- Using remaining tortilla strips, make a lattice crust over filling; brush with remaining oil. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately or, before baking, cover and freeze casserole for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake according to directions. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Tortilla Bake in Simple & Delicious March/April 2008, p8
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chicken and Cheddar Tortilla Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review