- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 18 tortilla chips
- Shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, optional
- Place a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Reserve 2 tablespoons broth; add remaining broth to pan. Stir in corn, beans, tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and reserved broth until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Top servings with crushed chips and, if desired, cheese. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Chicken and Black Bean Soup
"I've made this recipe several times since it originally came out as Zippy chicken Soup in the Light and Tasty magazine. I recently made it with leftover turkey and turkey stock from Thanksgiving, and it was just as delicious! I sometimes omit the jalapeno, and frequently add onion and sometimes add extra corn and black beans to extend the pot. I've also tripled the recipe for potlucks, and it's always a hit. You just can't go wrong with this recipe! :)"
"Really good and easy. I don't like anything too spicy so I omit the jalapeno. Since I never have cilantro on hand I leave that out as well. Otherwise it's a meal I can make from pantry items and my family really enjoys it. Top with some crumbled tortilla chips, shredded cheddar and sour cream."
"This is a go-to recipe for both my mom and me. We love the kick from the spices and jalapeno, yet it's still comforting. This is the best recipe when it's so cold outside and you just can't seem to warm up!"
"So good! I did cheat and use some dried cilantro leaves and frozen rotisserie chicken from my freezer. Had great results. Thanks!"
"Tasty southwest flavors. Came together easily. I had to change the corn for peas because that's what I had and added a yellow pepper. We ate it with sour cream and shredded cheese."
"Fantastic soup! My husband raved about it after eating 2 whole bowls!"
"We really liked this soup and will make it again. My chicken was frozen so I boiled and shredded it rather than cooking in the pan. I also omitted the jalapeno, as I forgot it at the store. Still had great flavor. I think next time I will add more cornstarch to thicken it up a little more. Very yummy!"
"Very tasty soup - and easy to throw together with ingredients I have on hand."
"Easy enough for my husband to make! Really delicious!"