Chicken and Black Bean Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 18 tortilla chips
- Shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, optional
- 1. Place a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Reserve 2 tablespoons broth; add remaining broth to pan. Stir in corn, beans, tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- 2. Mix cornstarch and reserved broth until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Top servings with crushed chips and, if desired, cheese. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
1-1/3 cups with 3 tortilla chips (calculated without cheese) equals 194 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 752 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.