Chicken and Black Bean Salad Recipe
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 6 cups torn romaine
- 1-1/2 cups cooked chicken strips
- Additional cilantro, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, whisk the first eight ingredients; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, toss the beans, corn, red pepper and onions; set aside.
- 3. Arrange romaine on individual plates; top with bean mixture and chicken. Drizzle with dressing; garnish with cilantro if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared without salt) equals 2 fat, 1 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable; also, 259 calories, 519 mg sodium, 21 mg cholesterol, 23 gm carbohydrate, 12 gm protein, 14 gm fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.