- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 6 cups torn romaine
- 1-1/2 cups cooked chicken strips
- Additional cilantro, optional
- In a small bowl, whisk the first eight ingredients; set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the beans, corn, red pepper and onions; set aside.
- Arrange romaine on individual plates; top with bean mixture and chicken. Drizzle with dressing; garnish with cilantro if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Chicken and Black Bean Salad
Sort By :
Easy to make and very tasty. My whole family loved it. I grilled the chicken while I put together the rest of the salad.
Made as stated except for the corn and onions. Used a can of whole kernel drained and garlic chives for the green onions. I did however chop the red pepper instead of making strips because that way you had some in every mouthful. The next time I made this recipe, I substituted turkey for the chicken and that was just as good!
I make this salad with red beans just because that is what I have on hand.I really do like barley but that just doesn't work well with this recipe.I make a complete meal deal out of this recipe as my Hubby isn't wild about it so I don't do it very often.I add meat to all my meals and chicken is wonderful especially in salads and sandwichs.I buy the whole chicken already cooked,peel off the skin (sonetimes)and chop it up the white meat for the salad.I will add the whole canned beans instead of the black beans but sometimes I will cook up a batch of raw beans and freeze them,then add some of them to the salad.Anyway this makes a light dinner and both Hubby and I are trying to lose weight so this is a very good recipe.
Very nice salad. I think I am going to leave out the sugar next time and see if it makes a big difference in the taste.
The very best for a light summer dish! We have served it several times for guests and haven't heard anything but praise yet. We add extra dressing - love the lime and cilantro!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bean Salad Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Salad Recipes >
- Chicken Salads >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Salad Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Salad Recipes >
- Main Dish Salad Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >