- Place the chicken, water, carrots, onions, bouillon and bay leaf in a
- Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25
- minutes. Add mushrooms and celery; simmer 15 minutes longer or until
- chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; allow to cool. Strain broth, reserving vegetables;
- skim fat. Set aside 2 cups broth (save remaining broth for another
- use). Discard bay leaf. Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Chop
- vegetables and cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth;
- gradually add milk and reserved broth. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the chicken, cooked
- vegetables, peas and seasonings. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking
- dish; set aside.
- For biscuits, in a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder,
- sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse
- crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll
- out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit
- Place biscuits on top of chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered at 400°
- for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 7 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup chicken mixture with 1 biscuit equals 521 calories, 27 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 935 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 31 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.