This wonderful chicken pot pie feeds a lot for very little money. Its satisfying taste is worth the extra effort. —Valerie Belley, St. Louis, Missouri
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 4 cups water
- 3 medium carrots, halved widthwise
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 pound whole fresh mushrooms
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- Place the chicken, water, carrots, onions, bouillon and bay leaf in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add mushrooms and celery; simmer 15 minutes longer or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; allow to cool. Strain broth, reserving vegetables; skim fat. Set aside 2 cups broth (save remaining broth for another use). Discard bay leaf. Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Chop vegetables and cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk and reserved broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the chicken, cooked vegetables, peas and seasonings. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- For biscuits, in a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits on top of chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered at 400° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Potpie in Taste of Home February/March 2009, p32
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken and Biscuits Pot Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review