Chicken and Beef Brunswick Stew Recipe
- 4 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 8 cups water
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1-3/4 cups ketchup
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 pound cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen butter beans
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 6 cups hot mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1. In a large stockpot, saute onions in butter until tender. Add chicken and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 2. Remove chicken; when cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones. Discard bones and dice meat. Skim fat from broth; return chicken to broth.
- 3. Stir in the next 14 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Stir in potatoes; heat through. Yield: about 8 quarts (25-30 servings).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 244 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 800 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Reviews for Chicken and Beef Brunswick Stew
"I make this fron an old recipe that's been in the family . There are some differences thou . I use pork in mine by cooking a Boston butt and shredding it or a boneless pork loin . I also cube the potatoes instead of mashing . I usually have about 24 quarts when I get finished . Me extended family has gotten this recipe from me and everyone loves it , even the grandkids and great grand kids ."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.