Chicken and Barley Boiled Dinner Recipe
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (about 3 pounds each), cut up and skin removed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2-1/2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1. In an Dutch oven, brown chicken in oil. Remove chicken and set aside. Drain. In the same kettle, combine the broth, rice, barley, onion, bay leaves, basil, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
- 2. Return chicken to pan; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- 3. Stir in the carrots, beans and celery. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until grains are tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 422 calories, 17 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 1,655 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Reviews for Chicken and Barley Boiled Dinner
"As mentioned previously, all recipes I have saved always, always an either **5 or greater** rating, this one no exception. Since we are empty nesters, I make only **half** recipe."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.