Chicken and Bacon Chowder
The original recipe for this chowder called for ground beef. One day I decided to use chicken instead. Everyone agreed they liked it even better. You're sure to enjoy it, too.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 pound sliced bacon
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp. Drain,
- reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Saute celery and onion in drippings until tender. Add potatoes, broth
- and carrots; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20
- minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in remaining
- ingredients and heat through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 277 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 795 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 18 g protein.