My husband is a big asparagus fan, so I had to try this recipe. It's a mainstay when I want something unusual but simple for guests. For variety, you can leave off the sauce and serve the bundles chilled for lunch. —Donna Lohnes of Wooster, Ohio
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 20 fresh asparagus spears (about 1 pound), trimmed
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Flatten chicken breasts to 1/2-inch. Wrap each around five asparagus spears; secure with toothpicks. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine the oil, lemon juice and seasonings; pour over bundles. Cover asparagus tips with foil.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with the onions. Bake 12-15 minutes longer or until chicken is no longer pink and asparagus is crisp-tender. Remove bundles to a serving platter and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and broth until smooth; stir in pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove toothpicks. Serve with sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken and Asparagus Bundles in Light & Tasty April/May 2001, p37
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken and Asparagus Bundles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review