You can greet guests with a taste of springtime when this chicken and asparagus casserole is on the menu. It bakes in just half an hour. People savor the rich cheesy sauce, and it freezes well, too.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimientos
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen cut asparagus, thawed
- 3 tablespoons chopped almonds
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the soup, mushrooms, milk, pimientos, soy sauce, pepper and pepper sauce. Stir in cheese until melted.
- In a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the chicken, asparagus and cheese sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Chicken and Asparagus Bake in Country Woman March/April 2002, p33
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken and Asparagus Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review