- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimientos
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen cut asparagus, thawed
- 3 tablespoons chopped almonds
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the soup, mushrooms, milk, pimientos, soy sauce, pepper and pepper sauce. Stir in cheese until melted.
- In a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the chicken, asparagus and cheese sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken and Asparagus Bake
Sort By :
I also double the mushrooms, (I use canned straw mushrooms) And two cans of asparagus tips
I doubled the amount of mushrooms and onion, fired the onion in a not stick pan with a touch of olive oil. Reduced the chicken to 4 cups. The cheese went by 1 cup using sharp. This helped the fat content. I served mine over whole grain rice. Heart concious!
Do you serve this on noodles or rice or what do you use? Thanks!
Do you freeze before or after baking?
I got this recipe several years ago out of one of your magazines and it is absolutely one of our favorites! I hope everyone will try it. I use the low fat/low sodium soup, fat-free milk and reduced fat cheese and it works great!