- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimientos
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen cut asparagus, thawed
- 3 tablespoons chopped almonds
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the soup, mushrooms, milk, pimientos, soy sauce, pepper and pepper sauce. Stir in cheese until melted.
- In a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the chicken, asparagus and cheese sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken and Asparagus Bake
Sort By :
"I also double the mushrooms, (I use canned straw mushrooms) And two cans of asparagus tips"
"I doubled the amount of mushrooms and onion, fired the onion in a not stick pan with a touch of olive oil. Reduced the chicken to 4 cups. The cheese went by 1 cup using sharp. This helped the fat content. I served mine over whole grain rice. Heart concious!"
"Hi There,Do you serve this on noodles or rice or what do you use? Thanks! Tammy"
"Do you freeze before or after baking?"
"I got this recipe several years ago out of one of your magazines and it is absolutely one of our favorites! I hope everyone will try it. I use the low fat/low sodium soup, fat-free milk and reduced fat cheese and it works great!"