Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Shells Recipe
- 1 package (12 ounces) jumbo pasta shells
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 3-1/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown chicken in 1 tablespoon oil. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, saute mushrooms in remaining oil until tender; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the egg, ricotta, 1-1/2 cups Parmesan, mozzarella and seasonings.
- 3. Drain and rinse pasta with cold water; stuff each shell with about 1 tablespoon of cheese mixture. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with chicken and mushrooms.
- 4. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add cream; cook 5 minutes longer. Add 1-1/2 cups Parmesan cheese; cook and stir until thickened.
- 5. Pour sauce over the casserole. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly.
- 6. If desired, cover and freeze unbaked shells for up to 1 month.
- 7. To use frozen shells: Thaw in the refrigerator. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Bake as directed. Yield: 10 servings.
1 cup: 684 calories, 45g fat (26g saturated fat), 195mg cholesterol, 805mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 38g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Shells
"This was a good recipe with the potential to be great. It was a very rich meal, and like others have pointed out, it was WAY too heavy in grated parmesan. Next time I will cut back on that, and I think this will turn out wonderfully. I'll try reheating it with some chicken broth like the other reviewer mentioned. The only thing I did change was omit the mushrooms (I can't stand cooked mushroom). I will definitely make this again, with some tweaks."
"My son loved this, but I wasn't a big fan. If you love alfredo sauce, then you will like this recipe."
"I love this!! It was sooo good!! :) The only thing I changed was I didn't add the mushrooms because we don't like mushrooms but the dish came out amazing! Definitely a keeper!! :)"
"Mediocre on day 1 (too dry, too rich), so on day 2 with leftovers,...after placing a portion of the shells in a serving bowl, I added a good amount of chicken broth and reheated. Then, I topped the meal with "coconut oil sauteed spinach with a lot of feta" melted in. All together it was Heavenly! OMGosh! 5-STARS on day 2.**I also cut the Parm cheese when making the shells by at least half."
"These were amazing! I thought they were a bit time consuming, but worth making again. I followed other people's advice and cut back on the Parmesan to about two and a half cups. I didn't have parsley flakes. I used precooked Perdue chicken strips( my store was out of boneless chicken breasts). They were very good! My picky husband even said they were good enough to make again and then he went back for seconds. Big compliment! Thanks for the recipe!!!!"
"Easy & delicious! Perfect dish for a weekday after work!"
"Definitely a meal to be only be made occasionally due to the fat content but yummy! I think the next time I will follow others' advice and cut down a bit on the parmesan cheese but will certainly make again."
"I made this for company and it was absolutly delicious!! Everybody had seconds and loved it!!!"
"Awesome, amazing, to die for, were the comments at a womens water aerobics potluck. The last comment "to die for" may be accurate with 26 g saturated fat.I'll not make often because of the fat, but will use for occasional special dinners."
"Great recipe. I took the advice of others and cut down on the parmesan and I thought it worked well."
"I made this for dinner last night (3/30/11) and it was delicious! My husband and son who are faily picky loved this. When I make this again I think I will add maybe 2/3c of parmesan cheese to the ricotta cheese mixture 1 1/2 C was too much and I think it over powers the taste of ricotta cheese. All in all a fantastic recipe. I brought the left overs to work and shared the rest of the shells with two of my co-workers and they both raved how delicious it was. Thank you for this recipe it's a keeper"
"This recipe is a definite keeper. My husband and I loved it!! I did use less parmesan cheese and I added some broccoli."
"This is a delicious recipe! My entire family loved it! :o)"
"If I could add more stars to this one I would, it was excellent - 5 stars is not enough to rate this recipe!!!!"
"Very rich & heavy...but oh so good! I did cut the parmesan cheese down (used only 1 c. in the filling, 1 c. in the sauce and 1/4 c. sprinkled on top) and used regular ol' white mushrooms."
"Delicious, and rich!"
"one of my husband's new faves...i did not have jumbo shells in the pantry so substituted medium shells, and instead of stuffing them just folded them into the cheese mixture. Also if in a hurry can use store bought jar of alfredo sauce to pour overtop. Great dish and definitely went straight into my recipe box!"
"My 17 year-old son, who is a picky eater, declared this to be one of his new favorite meals (I just left the mushrooms off of his portion). Kudos...great recipe!"
"I made this last night and it was sooo good. I will make it again. Its different than your average chicken Alfredo..this was good. My mother and sister had to get a 2nd plate lol."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.