Chicken 'n' Sweet Potato Stew Recipe
- 2/3 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the chicken, ginger and garlic in oil until chicken juices run clear. Add the onion, pepper and seasonings; saute 4-5 minutes longer. Add sweet potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring water and orange juice concentrate to a boil. Stir in couscous. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5-10 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and coconut milk until smooth. Stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cilantro. Serve with couscous. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/2 cups chicken mixture with 1 cup couscous equals 578 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 345 mg sodium, 75 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 41 g protein.
Reviews for Chicken 'n' Sweet Potato Stew
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.