Chicken 'n' Sweet Potato Stew Recipe
- 2/3 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the chicken, ginger and garlic in oil until chicken juices run clear. Add the onion, pepper and seasonings; saute 4-5 minutes longer. Add sweet potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring water and orange juice concentrate to a boil. Stir in couscous. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5-10 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and coconut milk until smooth. Stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cilantro. Serve with couscous. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/2 cups chicken mixture with 1 cup couscous: 578 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 345mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 7g fiber), 41g protein .
Reviews for Chicken 'n' Sweet Potato Stew
"The combination of ingredients is lovely, and I planned to make this dish for a quiet anniversary meal with my husband.This has to be the most bland thing ever. Finally, after more coconut milk and adding a LOT of spices, I had something worth working with!This is a nice starting point, but be prepared to do some major flavor adjustment."
"I'm an excellent cook and even after quadrupling the spices and adding a pinch of cayenne and salt, it was terribly bland."
"To Ohio46, they specify a certain brand of olive oil because it is an advertisement. Berio paid them!"
"It took a lot of ingredients (18!) to make this. It was just okay to me, but my family didn't care for it."
"I am just curious why it is implied that a specific brand of olive oil is to be used as there is such a miniscule amount called for that I think any cooking oil would suffice let alone naming a brand."
"This dish is delicious! I added extra curry, ground pepper and about a tablespoon of lime juice to add some zest and it was perfect!"
"Tasty, but slightly bland despite spices. Used reduced sodium chicken broth but ended up adding salt to eat."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.