- 2/3 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, saute the chicken, ginger and garlic in oil until chicken juices run clear. Add the onion, pepper and seasonings; saute 4-5 minutes longer. Add sweet potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring water and orange juice concentrate to a boil. Stir in couscous. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5-10 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- Combine cornstarch and coconut milk until smooth. Stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cilantro. Serve with couscous. Yield: 2 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Chicken 'n' Sweet Potato Stew
"The combination of ingredients is lovely, and I planned to make this dish for a quiet anniversary meal with my husband.This has to be the most bland thing ever. Finally, after more coconut milk and adding a LOT of spices, I had something worth working with!This is a nice starting point, but be prepared to do some major flavor adjustment."
"I'm an excellent cook and even after quadrupling the spices and adding a pinch of cayenne and salt, it was terribly bland."
"To Ohio46, they specify a certain brand of olive oil because it is an advertisement. Berio paid them!"
"It took a lot of ingredients (18!) to make this. It was just okay to me, but my family didn't care for it."
"I am just curious why it is implied that a specific brand of olive oil is to be used as there is such a miniscule amount called for that I think any cooking oil would suffice let alone naming a brand."
"This dish is delicious! I added extra curry, ground pepper and about a tablespoon of lime juice to add some zest and it was perfect!"
"Tasty, but slightly bland despite spices. Used reduced sodium chicken broth but ended up adding salt to eat."