Chicken 'n' Rice Hot Dish Recipe
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash garlic powder
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Combine rice and water; transfer to an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with spinach.
- 2. In a nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, melt butter. Stir in the flour, curry, salt, pepper and garlic powder until blended. Gradually whisk in broth and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Remove from the heat; whisk in mayonnaise until blended. Pour half of the sauce over spinach. Top with chicken and remaining sauce.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and rice is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cup: 325 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 659mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Chicken 'n' Rice Hot Dish
"Love the creaminess of the rice. I used fresh spinach because I didn't have frozen. Next time I make this I will use more rice."
"Everyone enjoyed it. I had to double the recipe, because I have big family(7 people). Thanks for sharing!"