“This is one of those lovely, simple dishes that needs only a salad and some bread to make a complete meal,” says Faye Labatt of Minneapolis, Minnesota. “It gets rave reviews whenever I serve it.”
Featured In: 30-Minute Casserole Recipes
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash garlic powder
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Combine rice and water; transfer to an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with spinach.
- In a nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, melt butter. Stir in the flour, curry, salt, pepper and garlic powder until blended. Gradually whisk in broth and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; whisk in mayonnaise until blended. Pour half of the sauce over spinach. Top with chicken and remaining sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and rice is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken 'n' Rice Hot Dish in Light & Tasty February/March 2007, p30
Reviews for Chicken 'n' Rice Hot Dish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 11, 2013
"Love the creaminess of the rice. I used fresh spinach because I didn't have frozen. Next time I make this I will use more rice."
Reviewed Jun. 15, 2009
"Everyone enjoyed it. I had to double the recipe, because I have big family(7 people). Thanks for sharing!"