- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons paprika, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 pounds broiler/fryer chicken pieces
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup each chopped celery, onion and green pepper
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 2 teaspoons of paprika and salt; add chicken, a few pieces at a time. Seal bag and toss to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown chicken in butter, a few pieces at a time. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the celery, onion and green pepper until tender. Add the broth, chicken and remaining paprika. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken to a serving platter and keep warm.
- For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Beat egg and milk; stir into flour mixture and mix well. Drop dough, 2 tablespoonfuls at a time, into simmering broth. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove dumplings to a serving dish and keep warm.
- For gravy, combine cornstarch and water; stir into broth. Bring to a boil; cook for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; add sour cream and parsley. Serve with chicken and dumplings. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken 'n' Dumplings with Sour Cream Gravy in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p43
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken 'n' Dumplings with Sour Cream Gravy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 17, 2013
"I will definitely make this again... it was even better as left-overs. Next time, I'll probably skip on the dumplings and just make rice, but we loved it!"