Chicken 'n' Dumpling Soup Recipe
Meet the Cook: This recipe's one I had to learn to marry into my husband's family! It is the traditional Hinz Christmas Eve meal, served before going to church. My father was a pastor who was always too keyed up from preaching to enjoy a big Sunday dinner. So I learned to make soup early on. Now, my husband is pastor to two rural churches. Our three children are 17, 15 and 13. -Rachel Hinz, St. James, Minnesota
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 3 quarts water
- 1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 6 cups uncooked wide noodles
- 4 cups sliced carrots
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 3/4 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a stockpot, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Remove chicken; allow to cool. Strain broth; discard bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Remove chicken from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces. Return broth to pan; skim fat. Add the chicken, noodles, vegetables, rice and parsley; bring to a simmer.
- For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder, thyme and salt in a bowl. Combine milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto simmering soup. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes (do not lift the cover). Yield: 20 servings (5 quarts).
Originally published as Chicken 'n' Dumpling Soup in Country Woman January/February 1998, p29
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken 'n' Dumpling Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Side Dishes >
- Country Woman Soup Recipes >
- Dumplings Side Dish Recipes >
- Pasta Recipes >