- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash dried thyme
- Dash pepper
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons finely grated carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, combine the chicken, broth, onion, celery, salt, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a thermometer reaches 170°. Combine flour and water until smooth. Stir into broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- For dumplings, in a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the milk, carrot and parsley.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto simmering broth. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forChicken 'n' Carrot Dumpling Stew
"Very good stew-hits the spot on a snowy, cold, winter day!"