Chicken 'n' Biscuit Bake Recipe
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound bone-in chicken breast halves
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- CREAM SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dash ground mace
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the broth, chicken, onion, celery, salt and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- 2. Remove chicken from broth; cool. When cool enough to handle, remove skin and meat from bones. Discard skin and bones. Cut up meat. Strain broth. Reserve vegetables and 1 cup broth; discard bay leaf. (Discard or save remaining broth for another use.) Arrange chicken and vegetables in a greased 3-cup dish.
- 3. For sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and mace until smooth. Gradually add the milk, Worcestershire sauce and reserved broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over chicken.
- 4. For biscuits, in a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened.
- 5. On a floured surface, knead 8-10 times. Pat into a 1/2-in.-thick square and cut into quarters. Arrange biscuits over sauce.
- 6. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 17-20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 861 calories, 46 g fat (20 g saturated fat), 176 mg cholesterol, 2,868 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 52 g protein.
Reviews for Chicken 'n' Biscuit Bake
"This dish is just one of those staples you gotta have. In place of mace I used nutmeg; also added dill weed to the cream mixture. Definitely a keeper!!"